Thursday 6 September 2007

Day One Hundred and Twenty One...

I got to work nice and early this morning. I had an early meeting planned so I was up and out the door and on my bike. Unluckily for me it seemed a lot of other people at work had the same idea and it took me about 15 minutes to find an empty shower. I ended up being late for my first meeting. After that it was just more of the same. Once I start late, my chain of meetings all cascade into each other and I'm late for the rest of the day. I even had to have my bar in a meeting.

The weekend's weather looks great, so I thought of heading out in the kayak. Unfortunately the missus is off to her mum's and is taking the car, so I've no chance of that. I've been deliberately avoiding meeting the mother in law since I started the diet. We always go there at Christmas and my target is to be finished my weight loss by then. I think she'll be delighted when she sees me. The missus' dad died of diabetes and other weight related issues, so I think this will be one less worry.

I have around five stone left to lose. If I lost the weight as fast as Lighterlife says I should then I'd be done by then, but if I lose at the speed I am at the moment then it will take well past the new year. I really do not want to do Christmas on food packs, but I will not break abstinence. If I'd thought about it fully I should have started the programme a few months before I did, but I was lazy.

When I tell people I still have five stone to lose they simply can't believe it. I saw an old friend today for the first time in three months. His eyes nearly fell out of his head. He told me I looked like a difference person and seemed genuinely concerned when I said I was going down to between 12.5 and 13 stones as my ideal weight. I think people equate you size with your personality and worry that if your mass goes so will a bit of what they like about you.

One guy at work has repeated told me I look gaunt. I don't know why. I really don't. I have a lot of weight to lose before there's a risk of that. Everyone has been great. My team are a bit bemused and probably bored that everyone who comes past my desk brings the subject up.

I've just done a to do list of things I need to be finished by Monday. I have four job descriptions to write. I have two presentations and a list of potential questions and answers to prepare. I have two spreadsheets of staff grades, salaries and positions to clear up. I have a budgeting proposal to finish. I have three requests for IT services to write to go to tender. On top of all of that I have 5.5 hours of meetings tomorrow. So I guess I'll be working a lot this weekend.

Maybe it's a blessing the missus is away in the car.

No comments: