Sunday 14 October 2007

Day One Hundred and Fifty Eight...

I awoke just before my alarm at 0530 this morning and slipped out of bed. After a quick shower I dressed and left the house. I loaded the kayak to the rook bars, made sure it was all secure and headed for the filling station. I filled the car up and bought sever large bottles of water and started the journey to Lowestoft.

The AA said it would take about 3.5hours, but leaving at 6am in the morning means there is no traffic on the roads so I made quick progress and arrived before 9am. The journey up was lovely. The sun rose and burned off the early mist, shining bright red as it did so. Where I got there there were a fine array of kayaks from the other kayak fishing forum members and a supplier who brought some along to try.

After about an hour of chat we decided we should do less of the chatting and more of the fishing. We split into a couple of groups. One headed off to sea and the others stayed in the Norfolk Broads. I decided I would try for pike in the Broads as I have never deliberately caught one.

The launch was a far less eventful one than my previous efforts at sea as the broads were flat calm. We were soon under way and fishing lures to try to tempt a few of the local fishy residents. Unfortunately we didn't catch on out first trip out. However, the lures were all chewed up, so there was definitely some interest from the toothy critters.

We had a break for lunch just after one. I mixed up a shake in a bicycle water bottle whilst my partner had a couple of rolls. There was a smell of bacon sandwiches coming from elsewhere and I felt a few hunger pangs in my guts.

The afternoon's fishing went a lot better than the morning's. I caught a couple of nice pike. I wasn't confident enough to take my own camera with me, but a fellow kayaker took a shot. When I get a copy I'll post it.

I loft for home around 6pm absolutely shattered. I had to get out and wander around the car to keep myself awake. In the old days I'd have drunk a can or two of red bull, but I than think of nothing more sure of kicking me out of ketosis than that.

The journey home was fairly uneventful really and I managed to get back in time to watch the last half hour of the rugby. After that finished I just went to bed.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Hi Guinea - that sounds like a good day out. We get a lot of pike fishermen on our local reservoir - they seem to find it great sport but I'm not sure about catching one of those prehistoric looking beasties!

It's great news about the rugby isn't it? I can't quite believe that we've made it to the final and suspect I'll be a loner voice cheering for them from the pub over here in Ireland! Still, I'm not overly confident about the result so won't be too disappointed if they don't lift the trophy.

Lesley x