Thursday 2 August 2007

Day Eighty Six...

I woke up feeling pretty refreshed this morning. With being at home on Monday and Tuesday it really didn't feel like most of the week had gone. It's strange how little things like where you work can affect the way you think, but it does. Today I was planning in work for the team that should be done by the end of the week. It wasn't until someone reminded me that the end of the week was tomorrow that I realised I was being a bit unrealistic.

A guy at work today asked how I'd lost so much weight and I gave my usual answer, "giving up everything except water". He was genuinely interested, and could do with losing a few pounds so I told him what I was doing. However, when asked if I'd recommend it, I didn't really have an answer. The thing is, you have to give up a whole lot to do this. There is no middle ground. I told him this and sent him on the web address to Lighterlife. We'll see if he's interested. I may pass him on the address of my blog, so he can see what it's bee like for me over the last three months.

Then, another more senior member of staff told me I'd inspired him to get fit. He's taken up salad and running. So maybe this weight loss thing is contagious? A few folk in the office are calling me twiggy or skinny. I laugh every time I hear it. Since I weigh about 19+ stones, I'm hardly skinny, but it shows how far I've come.

I know you shouldn't do it, but I weigh myself most mornings. Of course, I do it naked after my morning pee. This morning I was 19 stones exactly, so soon I may go through that barrier. When my weight drops through a new number I always get excited. Of course my Lighterlife weigh in is last thing at night, so I'm always at least 5 lbs heavier by then. The last time I weighed under 19 stones I was playing rugby and training twice a week. This was of course after an eight mile cycle each way. When I played rugby I was very fit. But I weighed about 18.5 stones. I think I'll start to feel strange as my body gets smaller. Of course, I do not have the muscle I had then, but it will still be new ground.

On the way home from worked I really pushed hard from start to finish on the bike. I got bad luck with traffic lights, but still managed a new fastest time home. My new total is 16m 43secs. This isn't that impressive overall, but is showing improvement. I should, with a little more weight loss and luck with the lights, get it down under 15 minutes. So, that's a little mini goal to aim for. I'll treat myself to something nice when I get there. Although, with my current spending patters, something nice will probably be stupidly expensive.

Yesterday's post and Dave's comment has reminded me of the time I got pulled over on my bicycle for speeding. At the time I lived in East London and was cycling home down a hill when I went through a speed trap. Further down the road I was pulled over and given a row. I can't remember the exact speed I was doing, but it was 35mph+. I didn't get anything more than a talking to, but it dawned on me later that the reason I got so fast was because I was slipstreaming behind a car who must have been going the same speed. Why pick on me!

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Speeding on a bike - sounds scary!

Keep it up Guinea - you really make it all sound so straightforward and obvious. I feel quite calm after reading your posts - of course - you just stick to the diet and it works!! You'd have thought after over 7 months of this, I would have spotted that myself....!

Anyway, that's what I'm doing now and it seems to be working again. The desire to cheat has receded to a quiet voice in my head rather than an overwhelming nag.

Cheers mate.

Lesley x

Amanda said...

I always get a bit excited when I drop through the next stone number, it's such a fantastic feeling.

Congratulations on losing 5 stone, that's amazing.

Well done

Amanda x