Saturday 11 August 2007

Day Ninety Five...

I awoke early this morning. I quickly dressed and got ready for going kayaking. I'd made up my mind to go somewhere along the Kent coast, but didn't really know where. I'm not sure why I decided to go there. Last week the Channel seemed a bit rough, so this week I decide to try the North Sea? I don't think my brain was working.

It took me about 25 minutes to get the roof bars on, lash down the kayak and pack everything. I was just about to leave when I realised I had no lunch pack, so I popped back inside to pick up a bar and a shake.

The journey was fine. Leaving early meant the M25 was empty as I drove round. I Arrived in Whistable after randomly following signs for water sports, but there was no parking within a few hundred yards of the beach so I drove on. Eventually I ended up in Herne which had a free car park right on the beach. Perfect.

I got ready. I have a key card rather than a key for the car. This means I have to put is somewhere waterproof in the kayak. I have a special bag for this purpose. This caused me no end of problems. I packed it away safely, then realised that I hadn't put sun block on, so I had to unpack it get lathered up. I put it away again before realising I hadn't locked the car, so had to unpack it all a second time. Then I noticed I forgot my PFD (life jacket) so had to do it again. I really need a mental checklist for everything I need to do. My mind was only concentrating on launching the 'yak and paddling.

Eventually I made it down to the water. After just standing with the boat look at at what the tide was doing I went for it. This time I managed to launch very easily. I was off first time. I paddled down to the nearest landmark which was a pier int he distance. I then carried on for a while. After a while my arms and chest started to burn. I relaxed my legs a whole load and they didn't hurt like last time. It felt like I was against the tide and wind so I didn't worry about going too far as I knew it would be easier on the way back.

I went past the harbour and had a look at the town from the water. I fancied an ice cream to be honest. The day was fantastically warm and the idea of something cold was very appealing. To get these thoughts out of my mind I turned around and headed back for the car.

Almost instantly on the way back I realised I had made a mistake. I was no definitely against the flow of the water. It was much harder to paddle back and the tide kept trying to force my boat to point to the shore. I put my head down, gritted my teeth and paddled for all I was worth. Actually, it wasn't that hard. I used the time to try to improve my paddling technique. At about halfway back I decided to land the 'yak so I could practice launching again. As with the last launch it was easy. I guess the smaller swell really helps. Eventually I made it back to the car park where I started. I quickly got changed, loaded up the boat and headed for home.

On the map below you can see where I went. I started at the let P and made it past the right P before returning. I also when out to sea a bit and practiced my turns and launches, so I maybe covered 3-4 miles. I was great.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=616465&Y=168185&A=Y&Z=3

I made a quick visit to Halford's on the way home. I don;t own a hose, but now it is essential that I clean the kayak and the car after every trip, otherwise the salt will ruin both. I got quite a nice one, as well as some car cleaning products.

As soon as I got home I quickly had a drink and a shake and got to work. First I unracked the 'yak and roof bars before washing the boat, seat, paddle etc. Then I started on the car. I spent a good hour getting it spotless. It's funny, I normally just clear out the car and take it to the local car wash. For £10 half a dozen guys blitz the car inside and out in 15 minutes, so why would I ever bother to do it myself? However, this is going to get expensive if I have to do this every time I go out in the kayak, so I've decided to do it myself from now on. Actually, I really enjoyed it. After it was all done, to a standard much higher than I normally pay for, I parked up for the night and went in to get changed and wash my dirty clothes.

The missus is off with Chinese friends to a restaurant tonight, so I'm on my own. I'm sitting in the study completely knackered, but very happy.

It's been a great day.

3 comments:

Mrs said...

Fabulous!

Mrs Lxx

Lesley said...

Wow! I'm knackered just reading all that. I think men are much more patient with all the paraphernalia and jobs that their hobbies entail. I just want to grab a pair of shoes and maybe a camera and get out to run or walk. Not sure I could be bothered with the hauling on and off and cleaning up afterwards. Maybe though.... Maybe I need to rope D in to that bit for me!!!

Lesley x

Unknown said...

small world - my family grew up in Whitstable, in fact I still have two Aunties there and some cousins.

it's a lovely place, including the surrounding areas.

I gotta hand it to ya as I couldn't be bothered with all of the hassle that yak'in entails.

Dave ....
p.s. what's you current camera?