Monday 6 August 2007

Day Ninety...

I normally start work around 10am. I just get up slowly while listening to the news on the radio. After I pack away my work clothes, towel and toiletries into my rucksack I head off to work. We have underground parking at the office, so my bike is safe in its compound. As soon as I get to work I hunt for a vacant shower room. There are 12 in total, but they can get busy and are frequently out of order. After a quick shower I get dressed and am fresh to face the day.

However, this morning, and every other Monday morning from now on I have a 9am routine with my new boss. It's only an hour earlier than normal, but it really is a drag. I have to set an alarm, rather than just wake. Also, I feel rushed the whole morning. Anyway, I made it in on time only to find it was postponed until later. Argh. The conversation was worth having though and I should end up with a raise in grade and salary soon. Of course, in my corporation, 'soon' doesn't have the same meaning as elsewhere in the business world, especially when it comes to spending money.

The rest of the day was just meeting after meeting. I had 14 booked in my diary, but one was triple booked and another double, so I only attended 11. I am getting very competent at managing how meetings go. I just turn up and give advice or orders. It has been two weeks since I last got an action in a meeting. If I had to do work as well as go to these meetings I'd probably explode. When I have deliverables to hand in I generally book a couple of days out of the office and do it from home. Otherwise I just get sucked in.

I've been really gulping down the water recently. My weight loss has been poor over the last month and I had a bad constipation experience, so I want to make sure I am doing it all properly.

A few days ago I mentioned that I might make it through the 18 stones barrier. I did that. I was 18lbs 13 for two morning in a row. Since then I've been heavier every morning. Tonight I was actually heavier than I was in my last weigh in. That's pretty annoying. Actually it's worse than that, it's a right tit.

Let me explain. Men are supposed to lose three stones every eight weeks. Check out the advert - http://www.lighterlifeformen.com/ However, unless I lose more than 4lbs by tomorrow, which is very unlikely, I will have lost less than a stone in four weeks. Extrapolating this fairly constant loss will add at least another eight weeks of abstinence to my Lighterlife journey.

This disappointing drop off in pace goes against all biological reason. I'm going to do some more explaining. My weight, height and lifestyle suggest I need 3200 calories a day to live. Lighterlife provide me with 500. This means it my body needs to find another 2700 calories. It gets this fat from my plentiful reserves.

In a week I have a deficit of 7days multiplied by 2700 = 18900.

There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat. 18900 divided by 3500 = 5.4lbs.

If you then add in the exercise I been doing and the fact that I haven't cheated, then I should be losing far more than 3lbs a week. I tell myself I have to be losing the fat, but if that's the case, where're the results. There is no way the difference will be made up by adding muscle. The human body can not make muscle that fast, especially when we are only consuming the bare minimum to survive. If it was easy to gain muscle mass, all blokes would have six packs and arms like Arnie.

So, what am I doing about it? Nothing. Just carrying on as before doing the best I can. I just wish for the days I can report large losses again.

2 comments:

Mrs said...

Aha! Welcome to the world of slow, slow.

I would have a word with your LLC as I just don't know what the answer is apart from empathising big time.

You may find that you will have a big drop very soon.

I feel these words are of little comfort.

Keep the faith.

Mrs Lxxxx

Lesley said...

Yeah - I can't say much that you haven't already been through yourself in your thorough way. I know that another blogger, Peridot, is going through something similar and it must be really annoying. I hope it changes for you soon and that your body stops playing this annoying and counter-intuitive trick on you.

Well done for sticking it out despite the disappointment and good luck with the next weigh in.

Lesley x