Sunday 19 August 2007

Day One Hundred and Two...

I slept a bit later than I wanted, so it was a bit of a rush to get up and out to get to the V Festival. The missus decided she couldn't go without doing the dishes and leaving the sink plugs to soak in bleach (there's been some bad smells from down there).

I had a couple of shakes to keep me going before starting to drive to Essex for the show. About 1/2 a mile down the road I asked the missus if she had the tickets. I'm glad I remembered to ask as she'd forgotten to pack them. A quick detour back home and we were properly off.

Due to road works we made a few detours, but finally arrived some time before one. We saw the tail end of Just Jack on the main stage which was only worth it for the fact that during the finale he stood on one of the front speakers which rolled over and sent him flying. It looked like he might have been hurt for a second but he jumped up and carried on. Meanwhile the audience was pissing themselves laughing.

We then made for the Channel 4 stage where we expected to meet one of the missus' friends. We thought it would be easy to find her as it was early and an unknown band was playing. However, when we got there it was packed. This unknown band was in fact the Foo Fighters playing an extra acoustic set to start off the festival.

We left them early and rushed back to the main stage to watch The Proclaimers who did a great wee set. If only more people knew their music, they're truly great. The crowd went crazy when they played '500 Miles' and I danced along in delight.

Next up was the Editors. I've heard one or two of their songs and though they might be worth listening to. They had a pretty good sound, although I thought the singer was a bit of a tit.

A few songs before the end of the Editors set I started to feel a bit dizzy. Rapidly this escalated so I grabbed the missus and tried to leave the crowded area. I fought through the crowds until I found a place to sit. I couldn't have been more than a few seconds from fainting. Obviously I was a bit worried about this. Someone on my Lighterlife group collapsed in a supermarket and was hospitalised due to having very low blood pressure. I was just hoping that this wasn't related to that. As I sat I ate a bar and some water. It was just about lunch time.

About 3/4 of an hour later Paolo Nutini started his set. I was a bit worried about the dizziness, but got up to see his set. It was very good. He was a great showman and sang very well. He did the Jungle Book song 'I wanna be like you' which was hilarious.

After coming through that without feeling ill we headed off to see Sinead O'Connor. I was really disappointed. I love her voice, but the band was too loud and the sound quality not great. I left after three songs and went to see what we could see.

Next up was Jet. They were fantastically energetic and played a good rocking set. By this time the wind was up, so it was blowing the speakers around so the sound was pretty patchy unless you were close.

The girls decided it was dinner time and headed off for some food. We then sat in view of the C4 stage and waited for Babyshambles. Pete Docherty played a decent set, although we were pretty alarmed when he threw his faulty guitar into the crowd. I hope nobody got hurt.

The hordes of folk then left so we got to move right to the front to watch The Coral. They were great and we bopped along for the next half hour. The lead guitarist was musically fantastic, even playing with a violin bow for one song, but he looked really pissed off the whole time.

After a pee break which took me about one minute. However, I then waited ages for the missus to queue up for hers. Women really need to learn how to pee more efficiently...

We wanted to watch the Foo Fighters' main set so we decided to get their early. On arrival at the main stage Snowpatrol were finishing their set. They sounded pretty decent, but we were miles away. We thought that many people would leave after they finished and we'd get closer for the main show, but this was not the case. To be honest it didn't matter that we were far back, the show was awesome. I like their music, but I'm not a huge fan, however I'd go to see them live any time. Dave Grohl really does know how to put on a show.

There were no more dizzy incidents after the middle of the day, but I may phone the doctor's on Monday just to see if it's worth popping in. I didn't have my monthly check up this month as they've all been good so far and my counsellor never asks for them from anyone else.

The day as a little blustery and chilly late on, but stayed dry all day until a few showers at the end. The heaviest rain fell during the Foo Fighters' set, but nobody cared.

No comments: