Tuesday 28 August 2007

Day One Hundred and Seven...

We got out of bed around 0900 the next morning. I'd been awake a while and had written a couple of letters on my laptop. I was on a trip to acquire some land and had some documentation to complete before the next day. After I'd finished them we had a quick wash,got dressed, packed the car and left on the journey to Skye.

For anyone who hasn't driven from Glasgow to Skye, the road has to be seen to be believed. Around Loch Lomond it it very narrow and very twisty. It's 3rd gear and 20-30 miles an hour for miles. The side of the road is littered with hubcaps that have been lost from tourists cars.

After leaving Loch Lomond you enter The Trossachs and then Glencoe. This part of the west of Scotland is stunning. However, it's best to watch from your car, if you leave you'll be eaten alive by midgies.

Eventually after hours of driving through the Highlands you reach the Skye Bridge and the Isle itself. About 45 minutes later you reach the town of Portnalong on the shores of Loch Harport.

I love being in Skye. It's always felt like home, and I am sure one day I'll come here to live. We arrived at my father's around 8pm and settled in for the night.

I instantly noticed how much colder it was further north. Normally I wouldn't notice the difference much, but being on lighterlife makes you a bit chillier than normal, so it really hits home when it is colder.

I went to have a shake and realised that I'd left half of my hand blender at my Aunt's. I whisked up a chocolate shake but it was terrible. I was supposed to have another, but I couldn't face it. I just went to bed.

No comments: