Thursday 30 August 2007

Day One Hundred and Fourteen...

I had a few nice comments at work today. I'm still getting the 'are you alright' question from folks who are worried I'm ill.

I was planning on doing something active tonight, but I'm still a bit tired, so I've mostly just read again. I'm planning on going to sleep early tonight.

I had a great conversation with one of my oldest work friends today who told me he is continually amazed by my changing body shape. He knows about the programme as I told him about it right at the start. I also told him that I still hadn't beaten my food addiction (is that the right word, I mean everyone's addicted) and that the weight loss was only the start of the process.

When I say I haven't beaten food, I mean that if I was to leave abstinence now, I'd put it all back on again. My mind hasn't changed. I understand that my battles will be harder when I start maintenance. Right now it feels like abstinence from food is a security blanket. Apart from the odd hard day it's been easy for me. Abstinence removes all freedom to choose what you eat. There is no middle ground. There is no room for mistakes.

What will be hard is when I have to use my judgement. I am not stupid. I know what is good for me and what is bad. Will that stop me ordering a 2500 calorie pizza? I don't know. Answers on a postcard...

2 comments:

Lesley said...

I think that's what Mrs and I are going through at the moment - the thoughts of eating food and in her case the first few days of doing it. I know I will fall off the waggon from time to time (and want to be able to do so) but I also feel very different about food as well, more able to walk away from it. So, I'm hopeful that I can maintain longterm as long as I keep active and keep vigilant and that, for me, means going to RTM and continuing to go to class to get weighed for a very long time after I come off the packs.

For example, after my last weigh in I had a bit of a carbfest in celebration of finishing. But it didn't involve any fatty food and it wasn't anywhere near as big as it could have been, no biscuits, no chips, no sweets. So - the bad "celebration" impulse was there, but there was a control to it. Also, the next day, instead of that "well I'm blown it now" feeling and the eating leading to more eating, I was straight back on track and had a perfect abstinent day. So, I know that the LL message has sunk in to a large degree.

You've been much better than me at abstinence so may find it even easier to stick to the rules?? I'm sure, with all the activities and exercise (which I think is key) and following the plan to the letter, you'll have every chance of making it through.

Lesley x

Mrs said...

Hi Guinea

Several things:

thanks so much for answering my question with the maths and the pounds/calories! Knowledge is power.

Second, fantastic comments about your changing shape although you must be getting close if the undertones are (Are you ok - ie are you ill?!). Rapid weight loss usually makes people question your health.

Third, funnily enough, I wish I had known what I know now at the beginning of RtM (do the guys call it Maintenance?). That's partly why I wrote my guide about how NOT to do it, which you must read when you are at that point.

There were many factors that made me go crackers and it's just unfortunate so many factors decided to co-incide! I think some days you may well think about eating a pizza for2,500 calories but you'll also ask yourself if it's worth it? Through all my bingeing, I have kept an eye on the calories and fat content - something I would NEVER have done before.

The other difference is that I jumped ship to early and with a mindset of not being 'there' yet, it just complicates matters. Don't go until you have reached goal. Lesley's there and I think she'll have a smoother ride for that very reason.

And remember you'll be making food decisions with a slimmer body and that does make a difference. I have not, for example, ordered pizza - my absolute, no two ways about it, favourite food in the whole world (IF it's wood fired, of course)!!

Anyway, we'll be here!

Take care and have a great weekend.

A group hug as it's Friday!!

Mrs Lxxxxxxxxxx