Friday 27 July 2007

Day Eighty...

I'm all excited as I write this. I decided to treat myself a little today. However, that little treat ended up being a lot bigger than I thought it would.

I decided to book myself a day's fishing tomorrow on the River Test. Most have never heard of this river, but it is the most famous of the chalk stream rivers in Hampshire and is the home of fly fishing. The water is usually crystal clear and the trout are always in good condition. The river is presented immaculately in a way that almost seems unnatural. The banks are mown, the weed cleared and nature given a helping hand everywhere possible. The result is a place that you expect to see hobbits running around but has the potential to provide fantastic fishing in great surroundings.

My first day fly fishing since I moved to London was on the Test a few years ago. I loved that day and fell in love with the place. It's a very expensive, and in some places exclusive, river to fish. There are also strict rules. You must use a fly that floats and represents an insect. You cannot use baits or sunken flies. You must also only cast upstream. These rules make it much harder to catch fish, and are there to make it more of a challenge for the "discerning gentleman".

I booked a ticket on a lovely part of the river tomorrow. It cost the best part of £100. This may sound like a lot of money for a day ticket, but it's not a lot for the Test.

Anyway, I needed to get some flies so I nipped off early from work and headed to Sportfish. I was after a pair of boots too, since the soles had fallen off my last pair. I tried on an XL jacket to see if I would fit into on. I normally wear XXL, but they are too big now. The XL was roomy, so I tried a L for a laugh. I just about fitted. It zipped up no problem, but was too short. I didn't buy, as I see no point in getting a few weeks of wear from a very expensive jacket.

When I got there I saw they had some fishing rods with 25% off. A bargain I thought and tried one out. It felt very nice. I decided to get it. Of course it need a new reel which also needed a new line. I managed to get a nice pair of boots too. So I left the shop £800 worse off and slightly confused. How did I manage to turn a fishing trip into £1000. Once I buy my ticket and fuel I am going to be seriously out of pocket. Heh, I'm not worried, the rod is lovely.

I'll be leaving the house sometime around 0630 tomorrow and will be ready bright and early to catch the first fish of the day.

Work was good today. We had a little presentation in the morning followed by champagne and bacon sandwiches, all dutify ignored by myself. Then when things quietened down I skived off for the rest of the day. Before I left, someone I hardly speak to, mentioned that I looked good. She said "you never notice with some people, but it really makes you look good". I assumed she meant my weight loss, thanked her and walked off quite chuffed.

I'd better be off to bed, need my sleep for tomorrow.

No comments: