Sunday 8 July 2007

Day Fifty Nine...

The kilt was ready as promised on Friday morning and we promptly headed down the A9 to Glasgow. I found a city centre parking space and proceeded to show the missus round the place.

I went to University in Glasgow, but haven't been back for ages, so I really enjoyed showing her round my old stomping grounds. We wandered around town before heading out West. I wanted to see a Kayak shop I remembered, but unfortunately it was no longer there. Instead we went into a cycle shop to see if we could find anything that caught the missus' eye. She's after a few accessories for her new bike.

As she looked at speedometers I saw a new mountain bike that was amazing. I have a very expensive mountain bike on which I've done many many miles but recently it's fallen into disrepair and I've hardly been on it. Anyway, it was love at first sight and I nearly bought it. I didn't, as spending £1500 on a bike on an impulse buy is stupid.

We then wandered past Glasgow University and on to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery. This is a stunning building which houses some great art, the most famous of Dali's Crucifixion. It also has a great collection of Charles Rennie MacKintosh designs. Anyone who's spent time in Glasgow will be very familiar with his work and the Glasgow 'style'.

When we's walked until out feet was killing us we headed to the hotel. My mother, aunts, uncles and cousins were meeting us there for dinner. I had made it clear that I wasn't eating, but I still turned up and watched as the devoured steaks, pasta, fish and chips. It was tough, but not as hard as I though it was.

A couple of family members congratulated me on my weight loss which was encouraging. When everyone started drinking afterwards I felt a bit uncomfortable so said my goodbyes and headed for bed.

No comments: